Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kindergarten Social Studies Lesson

MS Kindergarten Social Studies Frameworks: 5. Integrate, connect, and apply Social Studies into other subject areas and everyday life. d. Recognize that various cultures enjoy different styles of music, art, dress, food, and languages.

Big Idea: Different people throughout the country live in different ways.

Objective: The students will compare and contrast themselves to the lives of the Iroquois Indians.

Preparation
1. We will review on what it means to compare and contrast objects. I will show the students an apple orange.
2. I will ask them how these two objects are alike and then I will ask them how these two items are different. I will tell the students that today we will be comparing our everyday lives to the lives of the Iroquois Indians.
3. I will read Life In A Longhouse Village by Bobbie Kalman to the students, only reading the pages that contain facts that we will be using to compare and contrast in our activity.
4. As a whole class we will discuss the lives of the Iroquois Indians. I will ask them to start thinking about how they live in comparison to the Indians? Think about the foods they eat in comparison to the foods you eat, think about how they celebrate events in comparison to how you celebrate events, and think about how you do things as a child in comparison to how they live as a child.
5. As a whole class I will demonstrate how to complete a Venn diagram using foods the Iroquois Indians eat compared to the foods that I eat. I will ask them to name some of the foods the Indians eat and as they respond I will write their responses on the board. I will then list some of the foods I eat, making sure that I list at least one of the same foods as the Indians.
6. I will list the things that the Indians eat in the cirle that has the heading Iroquois Indians. Then under the circle titled Ms. Merritt, I will list the foods that I eat. I will ask the students can they tell me something that the Indians and myself have in common. The students should respond by saying corn. I will explain to them when both objects share something alike you list it in the middle circle, then I will write corn in the middle circle and also erase it from under both circles.
7. Tell the students that they will be using a Venn diagram like the one on the board to compare themselves to the Iroquois Indians.

Guidance
1. Students need to brainstorm their foods they eat, the dwellings that they live in, the things they wear, and etc.
2. Walk around the classroom making sure they stay on task and provide feedback when needed.

Application
1. Walk around the room observing the students as they complete their diagrams.
2. Assess their completed Venn diagrams to see how they compared their selves to the Iroquois Indians.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your idea! I have never even heard of this tribe! I think it is great to introduce students to other cultures and their practices. I really like the way that you helped them to understand that everyone has something in common even people that are members of foreign cultures. There is a great children's book entitled "If You Lived With The Iroquois" that you could incorporate into this lesson. Another great resource is "The Iroquois Indians" which is a book that describes information about the Iroquois Indians lifestyle. It includes pictures and discriptions of their homes,religion, government, clothing, and family life.

    ReplyDelete